Saturday 25 June 2016

How to close telnet terminal in Linux and Windows (quit, exit not working)

The telnet is one of the most useful networking commands, which is used to check if a server is listening on a particular port on the remote host, but it's a little bit tricky to use, especially, if you are not using it daily. Though I have used telnet before, but when I use it after a long time, I actually forget how to close the telnet terminal and how to get out of it. I tried every possible command I can think of which is used to close, cancel a command, or exit from VIM editor in UNIX, e.g. Ctrl + C, quit, exit, q! and even the escape character '^]', only to realize that nothing is working. I finally managed to come out from telnet command prompt after a bit of struggle, and trial and error but I was surprised how difficult it can be  to use one of the top 10 networking commands in UNIX.
Read more »

No comments:

Post a Comment